Il Porcellino Salumi, a Denver-based salumeri, is going wholesale starting this June.
In the past, the deli and salumeria has only sold its cured meats at its location in Berkeley and at the Front Range farmer’s market. From humble beginnings, it has grown to earn the grand champion title at the recent Charcuterie Masters competition in New York City and reverence by the Good Food Awards in 2017. Now, the team behind this magnificent meatery will take their product to a bigger market.
“The awards aren’t about me, but about everyone involved in this company that have given countless hours of physical labor and dedication to growing Il Porcellino. I am blessed to have the most amazing staff in Colorado that is dedicated to the craft of charcuterie,” explained chef and owner Bill Miner. “One of the greatest joys I have experienced since beginning this journey in 2015 is sharing our creations with others and we’re excited to introduce the deep flavors of our artisanal products to more people.”
Minor and his new business partner Nathan Taylor will produce out of what once was the Avalanche Cheese Company in Basalt, making six different 200-pound batches of salami a week. The mountain-town facility is a USDA-approved kitchen that is currently only licensed for this style of charcuterie, but Miner hopes to soon change that. In the future, they plan to additionally produce pancetta, guanciale, bresaola, coppa and more by building a larger facility in the greater Denver Area
The Full Wholesale Lineup
- Cacciatore – A Hunter style pork salami seasoned with caraway seed, coriander, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Diablo – An Italian inspired salami with extra pork fat and seasoned with toasted fennel seeds and calabrian chiles.
- Finocchiona – A traditional Italian salami seasoned with garlic, black pepper, toasted fennel seeds and fennel Pollen.
- Saucisson Sec – Traditional French style salami with garlic, black pepper and carboy malbec wine.
- Spanish Chorizo – Classic Spanish style salami seasoned with pimenton smoked paprika, garlic and Oregano.
- Spiced Juniper – A non-traditional salami heavy on the pork fat and seasoned with juniper berries, coriander and fennel seed with plenty of Calabrian chiles for heat, both floral and spicy in flavor, truly unique, and a 2018 Charcuterie Masters winning entry.
In addition to these wholesale items, Il Porcellino will roll out a black truffle, queso, pepperoni and soppressata salumis in late summer. All distribution will be available through Italco Food Company for restaurants, markets and hotels within the state. For more information and to check out all of their products, go to its website, here.