Shorts aren’t the only things going miniature this season, skirts are going minimal on fabric as well. In all shapes, patterns and fabrics, mini skirts are trending. And done properly, it’s a fashionable way to show off those tanned and toned summer legs. From casual to chic, this look is all about balance. These short numbers need something to make up for what they lack: fabric. And the top is exactly what can make or break this outfit.
By pairing a blousy or boxy top with these miniature-sized fashion statements, it creates an appearance that still leaves something to the imagination. A mini-skirt with an itty-bitty, skin-tight, top gives nothing more than the impression that you either 1) raided you little sister’s closet, or 2) are trying very hard to get attention. As always, the cardinal rule of fashion applies—keep it classy.
Keeping it classy doesn’t mean that the outfit can’t be fun or edgy. It means balancing said edginess with good taste. A truly eye-catching fashion statement is achieved by playing with classic styles.
Begin by selecting a mini that is made from a lush fabric and is well-structured. This gives a multi-dimensional appearance rather than simply selecting something that is tight and short. The same applies for this season’s move toward casual minis—often made from soft and lightweight cottons, try one that has a wrap or scrunched look to it. This again adds dimension and creates a look that it is not skimpy, but chic, regardless of how short.
The rules to minis:
1) Pick a length that suits your leg—the key to making minis look their best is choosing one that hits your leg at a flattering point
2) Tend towards sturdy fabrics—while causal cotton minis are the exception, sturdy fabrics create a structured and intentional look
3) Think balance—with the skirt being small, try adding an over-sized and billowing top to create an equilibrium in the outfit
4) Pair with chunk and layered jewelry—once again, balance
5) Heels or flats—either is great, just maintain the cardinal word, balance. From top to bottom the look should go full, mini, full. Meaning a chunkier wedge or gladiator sandal would be a great option
6) Rock it—show off those sexy legs
This look is a perfect transitional piece—from daytime heat to a cool evening. And even from summer into cooler fall days. Throwing on a chunky sweater is an easy way to carry this look into cooler weather and maintain a balanced look. So in the name of fashion, go mini!
Fore more, go visit “Make It A Mini Skirt” on Pinterest