Day before the Fourth and still no plans? Fear not, our friends from Pizzeria Da Lupo got your back with some all-American recipes for a last minute picnic this fine Independence Day. Grab a blanket and head to a warm grassy place to eat some home-cooked grub, watch fireworks and make everyone think you planned it all along.
Or if the kitchen isn’t your shtick, stop into Pizzeria Da Lupo in Boulder and let them do the cooking.
Braised Chard and Pancetta Pizza
(for one 12″ pie)
- 10 oz pizza crust
- 4 oz rainbow chard, stem removed,
torn in pieces
- 2 oz pancetta, cubed
- 1 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 oz parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red chili flake
- salt and pepper to taste
- dry white wine
|To make braised pancetta topping:
1. Cut pancetta into ½ inch cubes and cook until crispy. Reserve all rendered fat for the chard.
2. Heat the rendered pancetta fat in a medium skillet.
3. Add the red onion and garlic, cooking until translucent.
4. Add the chard, red chili flake, and wine. Cook until the chard is finished. The mixture will greatly reduce in size.
5. Toss in cooked pancetta cubes, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, and let cool slightly.
To assemble pizza:
1. Stretch pizza dough to about 12 inches.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt to season.
3. Add dollops of ricotta cheese, then top with the chard and pancetta mixture.
4. Finish with crumbles of fresh mozzarella and shredded parmesan cheese.
5. Cook pizza as desired.
Beet and Carrot Slaw
To slay the slaw:
1. Whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper.
2. Toss dressing with beets and carrots.
3. Garnish with a little fresh dill before serving.
- red, gold and chiogga beets, 2 each, peeled & julienned
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup 8 oz butter
- 1 1/2 cup fresh bluerries
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- powdered sugar for dusing
|To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Whisk eggs and yolks until blended.
4. Add the butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
5. Stir to evenly blend. Toss the blueberries in a bit of flour and set aside.
6. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir.
7. Carefully stir in the blueberries.
8. Pour into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with butter and flour or non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 30-35 minutes until browned on top and cake bounces back slightly when pressed.
9. Let cool for 15 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack to cool.
10. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.