What: Frozen Dead Guy Days
Where: Nederland, CO
When: Friday, March 11 – Sunday, March 13
Tickets: $10 for access to all three tents, $20 for The Blue Ball on Friday, but many events are FREE.
Lovingly referred to as “Cryonics’ First Mardi Gras,” Frozen Dead Guy Days has been around for 14 years and honors Grandpa Bredo Morstoel who has been frozen on ice high above the town of Nederland since 1989. Though it is illegal to keep a frozen animal or human (thanks entirely to Grandpa Bredo!), he was lucky enough to be grandfathered in and therefore allowed to stay here. But keeping him frozen is no easy feat, it takes an impressive 1,600 pounds of dry ice per month to keep him at a convenient minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
The quirky town of Nederland is the perfect home for this one-of-a-kind festival and brings a whole lot of fun to the area each and every year. If you have never been to a festival with coffin races, zombie paparazzi, and a brain freeze contest then you are in for a real treat. With three uniquely different tents, as well as plenty of entertainment and fun on the streets you won’t want to show up without a costume, so have fun and show your creativity this weekend at this uniquely Colorado event.
Friday (4 p.m. – midnight)
- The Blue Ball
Complete with a blue carpet and zombie paparazzi, live music, craft beer, delicious food, and an Ice Queen & Grandpa Look-alike Contest at 8 p.m.
Saturday (11 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
- Grandpa’s Mall Crawl (11 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
- ‘Grandpa’s in the Tuff Shed’ documentary (showing every 30 minutes from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Parade of Coffin Racers & Hearses (12 p.m.)
- Newly Dead Game (1 p.m. & 5 p.m.)
- Costumed Polar Plunge (1 – 2 p.m.)
- Coffin races (2 – 3:30 p.m.)
Sunday (11 a.m. – 8 p.m.)
- Grandpa’s Mall Crawl (11 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
- Salmon Toss & Sunday Brunch (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Snowy Human Foosball (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Mustache & Beard Contest (1 – 1:30 p.m.)
- Ice Carving (1 – 3 p.m.)
- Brain Freeze Contest (2 – 3 p.m.)
- Frozen Dead Poet Society Open Reading (3 – 4 p.m.)