An overseas vacation takes months to plan, but it will most likely be a trip you will remember for years to come. One of the challenging parts of packing for a trip that’s longer than a week is trying to decide what pieces are crucial and how to make everything fit in a bag that you can carry throughout your adventure. You can go the checked bag route and bring an outfit for each day, but for a trip that involves multiple cities and a few too many train rides, a carry-on bag is the best way to travel around with ease. It’s a little tricky, it involves some sacrifice, and you will most likely find yourself picking out and putting back half your wardrobe.
Part of the fun of making memories in new cities is being able to do it not only with ease but with style. However, there are a few important things to keep in mind when creating your looks for the entire trip. Below is a list of nine items that will make your visit less stressful, no matter what country you’re in.
Things to pack for an overseas trip
1. Walkable ShoesThere isn’t enough to say about the importance of a good pair of shoes that you can walk in all day. Simple flats or sandals with straps are the perfect addition to any dress, skirt or pair of pants. and they make the most sense for a summer stroll. Leather is a great option that is less likely to rub and well worth the investment if you plan on seeing the sights from foot. If you have room for an additional pair, opt for some Keds or espadrilles with a closed-toe.
2. Travel BagNot too big, not too small, a classic over-the-shoulder style makes the perfect carry-on bag for your camera, passport and a book for the plane. Once at your destination, you can easily transport your lunch for a picnic or a baguette from the local market. Tip: If you’re in a touristy area, make sure to keep one arm on your bag and try to stay away from anything with outside pockets.
3. Staple SweaterWear it on the beach over a swimsuit, in addition to a flowy skirt for a late night walk in town, as well as any time you desire a little extra layer without the bulk of a jacket. Try to pick out a solid color for multiple wears throughout your trip and a material that is both comfortable and creates an “I’m on vacation and yes, I’d love a mid-day macaroon” feel whenever you wear it.
4. LinenWhether it be a dress or a shirt, linen lives for vacation. The fabric exudes a relaxed, bohemian feel that works as an under or over layer in any male’s or female’s suitcase. You never look like you’re under dressed and when tucked into a pair of jeans or skirt, it creates a whole new look of its own.
5. LBDCoCo Chanel created this look for any woman who dares to look her best on any occasion. The versatility of a little black dress works at the beach, on a mountain or in the middle of a vineyard. This piece is a staple in any carry-on and will make you feel that much more feminine each time you wear it.
6. Pair o’ JeansYou don’t need to worry about bringing multiple pairs, but including the one pair you can wear with the rest of your clothes is necessity. A light wash is perfect for a summer vacation but dark goes with any material or color. To save room in your bag, try wearing these on the flight there and back.
7. Dry ShampooFinding an outlet that you can plug your straightener in is nonexistent but trying to use any appliance with a different chord can be just as tricky. In the hopes to not blow a fuse, make sure you bring your fair share of dry shampoo and hairspray to make that second day hair look even better. Less time getting ready, more time exploring.
8. Light-weight Jacket
It goes without saying that you don’t want to be caught in the rain or on a cold night without the right layers. Make sure to bring a jacket that you can easily roll up in a suitcase or stuff into a tote when you’re out and about. It may save you when you’re too far from home-base having too much fun.
9. Room To Spare
There’s nothing like a vacation without a few mementos from your adventures. Make sure you have enough room in your bag to bring back a few good souvenirs for yourself as well as your family and friends. Less can be more when you don’t have to worry about extra baggage and vacation is so much sweeter this way.