Are you the strongest, perhaps craziest of your friends? Do you feel a pulse of native Inuit coursing thru your veins, and crave an icy cold rush that can only come from a polar dip or well timed beer? Well, the moment has come to put up or shut up. February 22nd, 2014 marks the annual Polar Plunge Splash & Dash at Denver’s City Park. This is the coolest event this winter and all of your heroic efforts go to support truly magnificent athletes.
The Polar Plunge Splash & Dash is an event presented by the Special Olympics of Colorado. Their goal is to provide year round training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. The Olympics may be happening on the other side of the world but you can contribute to your Colorado athletes right at home.
The Polar Plunge is slammed with events and activities, including the Chilly Cook-off, beer garden, live music, food trucks, contests and giveaways. If you want to jump in on the action, here is what you need to know. Register online, the fee is $35 for the 5K Dash/Walk; this includes a beer for those of us over 21. Registration is open now online or on the day of the event, starting at 10:00 am. Your next step will be to either start a team or piggyback onto one of your friend’s teams. Then start your fundraising engine. Once you have hit up enough generous neighbors and raised $75 you have the honor of jumping into the icy cold water for a Polar Plunge. You can only plunge if you raise the funds.
Once your donations are lined up its simple, all you have to do is dash around City Park, work up a substantial sweat and then immediately turn that sweat into icicles, what could be more entertaining? Don’t forget to stretch because the 1st place finisher of both the Men and Women’s division will win sweet prizes. The race begins at 12:00 p.m., followed by the Polar Plunge at 1:00 p.m. The Special Olympics & the Polar Plunge have created a great incentive program to reward you for your fundraising efforts.
Awards and prizes will be given throughout the day and the beer garden opens at 1:00 p.m. So if you find yourself in desperate need of some liquid courage before your dip, have an ice-cold beer. For all of you crafty beasts, there is the coveted “Most Spirit Award” given to the team or individual with the best costume & spirit. The competition for this category is stiff, bring your A game.
Maybe you’re not a runner but still want to make a splash, you can always register for the Polar Plunge only, and there is no fee, just the $75 minimum fundraising required. Start freezing for a reason.
- City Park Address: 2001 Steele Street., Denver CO 80205
- February 22nd, 2014
- Registration Opens: 10:00 AM-1:00 PM
- 5K Starts: 12:00 PM-1:00PM
- Polar Plunge Begins: 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
- Beer Garden Opens: 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
- Chilly Cook Off: 11:00 AM-2:00 PM
- 5K Run Only: $35.00- You will receive a timing chip, Fee will go up to $40 on Race day.
- 5K Walk Only: $35.00- You will NOT receive a timing chip, Fee will go up to $40 on Race day.
- Polar Plunge Only: No Fees, $75 fundraising minimum
- Splash & Dash (Polar Plunge & 5K Run): $35-You will receive a timing chip, plus $75 fundraising minimum.
- Splash & Dash (Polar Plunge & 5K Walk): $35-You will NOT receive a timing chip, plus $75 fundraising minimum.
- Yes, discounted Student/Athlete fundraising minimum: $50
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics Colorado
- Sports Authority
- Denver Parks & Recreation
- H&R Block
- Jack in the box
- The Arcanum Group
- Parking is tough, all of the streets inside of City Park will be closed space is limited; carpooling is strongly encouraged.